Monday, January 19, 2009

Sale Sale Sale

It is all over the place. The Spring-Summer season fashion clothes are expected to hit the market. So the winter clothes are up on sale. Guess, Aldo, Tommy Hilfiger, Marks and Spencer, the local brands, the footpath brands – every store is offering ‘Sale’ – upto 50% and even more.
I am a ‘Sale’ buyer; otherwise I how can I afford to wear big brands with my salary!! If the question is – why I need big brands – then I’d assign some of it to snob value and some because I think I can be a little surer of the product. (I know most of them are probably being made in the same factory in China!! A single owner most likely has separate verticals and accounting books for each brand)
On Sunday, I went to a posh South Delhi Mall – the biggest in Delhi as they claim – Select City Walk. My first mistake was that I went in the evening. The most important tip for a ‘Sale’ buyer is – always hit the mall around 11 in the morning. You can keep the trial room occupies as long as you want.
I tried Tommy Hilfiger first. The 3000 sq ft shop was flooded with people of all ages. Women with babies as old as 4-5 months (sometimes the husband, sometimes the pa or ma in law lugging the baby), teenagers with goading mothers, fashion conscious men and of course, young couples not married or just married trying to buy the best for their partners.
That’s my point – what were they looking for? I couldn’t find anything that suited the weather or my budget. For instance – I picked a thicker material T Shirt for my husband. The discount amount showed as 30%. But when I checked original price, the tag read Rs. 7995!! It was obscene!! Only a month back I bought another branded cashmere sweater for Dhruv for 5k, which was new, and looked far better.
Now for women’s wear. When I go to these kinds of shops, I become more conscious about my size. I always have to pick L!!! If I am L, then I wonder what sizes Jasminder Parminderji auntijis or Paromita Boudis wear!! Under the circumstances, I think they can only wrap around bed sheets!!
It was the same with all these branded shops. I jostled around in at least five of them, resulting in no luck and leaving me exasperated.
My hard work paid off – but only in Shoppers Stop! I bought a locally branded, affordable new jacket which had no discount and a size M. It was sheer ecstasy I tell you.
Have I learnt a lesson? Of course not!! I am already planning my puja shopping in the Spring Summer Sale season.

1 comment:

SS said...

Hmm...But I still love to explore during the SALE season :)